Savannah & Hardin County, Tennessee

For information on Savannah & Hardin County contact, Hardin County Convention & Visitors Bureau at (731) 925-2364, www.tourhardincounty.org.

A sampling of attractions include:

Cherry Mansion

265 West Main Street

Circa 1830. Built by David Robinson and presented as a wedding gift to his daughter & son-in-law, W. H. Cherry. Served as headquarters for General U. S. Grant in the spring of 1862. Grant's breakfast was interrupted by couriers with news that the battle of Shiloh had begun. Building is not open to the public, but visitors welcome to walk the grounds & take pictures. Grant Headquarters Monument is located one block east.

Haley Burial Site

Alex & Queen Haley, The paternal grandparents of the famous Roots author, Alex Haley, were Hardin County residents at one time. About 1880 Alex Haley, Sr. came to Savannah and became a prominent man in nearby Newtown. Shortly after coming here, he became the ferryman of Savannah Landing operating a ferry, Rudd’s Ferry, a located near Cherry Mansion in Savannah. Queen Haley worked in the Cherry Mansion for the Cherry Family. Alex Haley wrote a book, Alex Haley’s Queen, about his grandmother and later a movie was produced for television about her life as the daughter of a slave and slave master and he traced his family history from Ireland to the Trail of Tears to Manassas. Alex and Queen Haley’s burial site is located in the Savannah Cemetery in Hardin County. Headstone of Alex Haley, Sr. is four-sided with graves on three different sides, including those of Haley (1845-1918);Queen, second wife of Alex Haley, and Tennie Haley, his first wife.

Directions: From Water St. in Savannah, South on Cherry Street, turn right into first street to the right into the cemetery, follow gravel road. At road intersection, follow road to right, headstone is immediately on the right.


Town of Saltillo

Visit Saltillo, an early river town with homes dating from the 1840s. Styles of architecture range from Greek Revival and Italianate influences to country farmhouses. Two cemeteries and a church pre-date the Civil War.

Points of Interest include: Wylie Davis House – Riverview Circle. Mr. Davis purchased this property in 1919. Davis family still in residence, large magnolia tree in front yard planted during Civil War, original house pre-dates this era.

Masonic lodge – West corner of Riverview Circle and Main Street. Old Presbyterian Church, over 100 years old.

Kent-Ivey Home – North side of Main Street between Riverview Circle Decatur Road. Greek Revival detailing, traditionally Meady White built this home prior to his 1847 residence.

Meady White House – Circa 1847. House with Greek Revival and Italianate influences.

Pitts House – Southside of Main Street, 3rd house from the river. Two original front rooms were built in the mid 1800s remodeled in 1919, basic architectural style changed.

White Lawn Cemetery – West of town, turn north off Highway 69. Established by Meady White after death of his first wife in 1846, White had three wives and thirteen children, second wife and five children who died at an early age are buried with Meady White at the back of the cemetery, remaining children and spouses are also buried there.

Shiloh Indian Mounds National Historic Landmark

Located in the center of Shiloh Battlefield

About 800 years ago, a town occupied the high Tennessee River Bluff at the eastern edge of the Shiloh Plateau. Archaeologists refer to the society centered at Shiloh as a “chiefdom”. On a bluff overlooking the Tennessee River, six platform mounds surrounded by over three dozen individual house mounds and encircling palisade make up the finest surviving Mississippian Moundbuilder village in the Tennessee Valley. This prehistoric culture, which reached the height of its influence around A. D. 1200, is today interpreted at the Tennessee River Museum.

Tennessee River Musem

507 Main Street, Svannah, TN 38372; (800) 552-3866; Web Site: www.tourhardincounty.org

Located in downtown Savannah, the museum has displays of paleontology, archeology, war on the river, and the steamboat era from the Tennessee River. On display are items from the gunboats “Cario,” “Shiloh,” “New Johnsonville,” the steamboat “City of Florence” and other items concerning the river and its influence on the heritage of the Tennessee Valley. World famous “Shiloh Effigy Pipe” is the central display item. Open Mon.-Sat. 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun. 1-5 p.m. Admission.

Savannah Historic District and Historic Trail

The Savannah Historic District is composed of 16 homes showcasing some of the finest examples of Southern architecture and provides a pleasant two- mile drive or stroll through yesterday. The homes date from 1830-1930. The historic trail offers views of the Tennessee River and interpretive wayside exhibits. Points of interest include Cherry Mansion, headquarters for General Grant prior to the Battle of Shiloh; the ferry crossing site operated by Alex Haley Sr.; and interpretation of the "Trail of Tears" Cherokee removal of 1838 and the Civil War. Brochures of the historic district and trail are available at the Tennessee River Museum.

Shiloh National Military Park

1055 Pittsburg Landing Road (Highway 22 between Tennnessee 57 and US 64), Shiloh TN 38376; (731) 689-5696; Web Site: www.nps.gov/shil

On Sunday morning, April 6, 1862, Civil War troops clashed in the fields and woods near Pittsburg Landing in the first major battle in the war’s western theater. Two days later, General Grant pushed Southern troops back to their base at Corinth, Miss. The battlefield features 151 monuments, 217 cannons, and more than 450 historic tablets. The battlefield tour starts at the visitor center where exhibits and a brief film provide an introduction to the battle. The Visitor Center/museum/bookstore are open every day, except December 25, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.


Shiloh Guide Services

200 Church Street, Savannah, TN 38372; (731) 925-6410; Web Site: www.ShilohGuide.com

Professional Tour Guide service by Ken Hansgen to Shiloh National Military Park battlefield and nearby Civil War sites.